I finally went out to buy some clothes shopping for myself. (It's been years, unless you count the previously used preggo clothes I bought @ Kid to Kid, which I don't.) In truth, I've been avoiding it for so long b/c I didn't want to find out the truth about which jeans size I've advanced (for lack of better words) to.
So I found myself arguing w/ myself yesterday at Kohl's, standing in the middle of the aisle, wondering which section I should shop in. Because last time I went shopping, about hmm... 3 BABIES ago, I could rock the junior section still. Yes, I have a lazy lack of style. And yes, every time I shop, I usually end up with 4 of the same t-shirt, just in different colors. But, at least I fit in. At least I could wander through the aisles not feeling like, "Am I an outsider here? Did that 15 year old just give me a look? Oh no she didn't. What would her mother say!"
But seriously, did I miss the obvious road signs that say "If you have 3 times as much baby flab as a 15 yr old, GO TO THE WOMAN'S SECTION." "If you are old enough to drink, GO TO THE WOMAN'S SECTION." "If you frequently go longer than a week without remember to shave your legs, GO TO THE WOMAN'S SECTION."
Seriously though, I don't know if it's a Utah thing, but if you are over 25, and/or have kids, you kind of feel like an old maid already. But anywhere else? You're in the prime of your life! You're still shopping at Forever 21 & going to clubs on the weekends. I mean, that's what all my D.C friends are doing anyways. Not that I want to be going to clubs. I am happy with my man, & prefer watching tv shows in pajamas over the fast pace, sexy D.C life any day.
I know I'm not a "miss." But I certainly don't feel like a "mam" yet either. So, to resolve this mini crisis & self over-speculation, could someone just shop for me next time??

6 comments:
Oh the truth of that picture is a little overwhelming!
Maybe it's a mom thing, because I am loving my mid 20's! I'm obviously not hitting up the clubs (not that I have any desire to go clubbing), but Seth and I have a lot of fun together. I have so much more independence than I did in high school or college because I have my own car and I live more comfortably which has made my 20's way better than my teens. Also, this last year has been our happiest year of marriage--we've had more time to go out and do things than before, and I'm happier in my career which allows me to spoil Seth (which makes him very happy). ;) Every now and then I feel a little like we're behind everyone else because of Seth's studies, but I'm learning to compare myself less to others and to enjoy the journey.
loved this post. HILARIOUS.
I just realized that I bought shorts in the junior section last week and it reminded me of your post. lol Though it is not as sophisticated, sometimes it's the only place where things fit me.
Now, now, if you're old, I'm older, and I'm not old. Not yet. No need to mourn that you've mentally and physically moved beyond teenage clothing! Don't be one of those embarassing moms who tries to wear the same things her teenage daughters do. Even if you could, doesn't mean you should, or that it looks nice. Age with my class, my love.
Now- as to where to shop, you've got me. I ponder that one all the time. What does a mom of three really wear anyway? Same thing she wore when she was 16- jeans and teeshirts. Find em in whatever section they fit. Just try to avoid brand names plastered all over the tee, tight things that may have been ok for a single gal, but look trashy on a mom, etc. Look in stores that don't separate teens and women sizes. Gap, ON, Talbots, Dress Barn, etc.
Btw- I think that muffin coming out of those jeans looks delicious! Ask your hubbie if there's a difference b/w looking delicious or hot, and I don't think he'd find one.
haha! awesome post! now let's go shopping together. :)
Post a Comment